Beginners Training Course
This course is suitable for people who want to run a professional picture framing business. It will teach you the basics of running a profitable business and allow you to confidently serve customers from day one. The course is a balanced mix of discussion topics and practical application. It’s available as a full five day course or can be arranged over multiple weeks.
- Workshop health and safety
- General advice on design area, workshop setup and workflow
- Overview of pricing, stock control and your legal responsibilities
- Overview of Fine Art Trade Guild’s GCF Study Guide as a workshop manual
- Review of Framing Levels, why they exist and how to advise your customer
- Design desk practice and job sheet creation
- Machine familiarisation, set up, maintenance and safety procedures
- Moulding: Handling, storage, style and function
- Moulding: Cutting and underpinning
- Review of Mountboard Standards, why they exist and how to make appropriate choices
- Mountboard: Handling and storage
- Mountboard: Cutting single, double and multi-aperture mounts
- Mountboard: Decorating with V-grooves and ruled lines
- Review of tapes and adhesives: what to use and when
- Art on paper: Basic identification, handling and storage
- Art on paper: Practical application of hinging and support methods
- Textile art: Basic identification, handling and storage
- Textile art: Practical application of support methods
- Art on canvas: Basic identification, handling and storage
- Art on canvas: Practical application of support methods
- Discussion on Object and 3D Framing
- Overview of glazing options
- Practical application of handling, storage and glass cutting
- Overview of backing board options
- Practical application of handling, storage and board cutting
- Frame assembly and finishing
- Review and Q&A
Please remember that the framing of artwork, whatever the medium, is a skilled craft which cannot be mastered in the space of a week. Ongoing learning, lots of practice and plenty of hands-on experience will be needed to reach the level required to pass the Fine Art Trade Guild GCF exam, if that’s what you want to do. When you are ready, we also provide GCF and GCF Advanced module preparation days.
What you need to know
This course is available in: All locations.
Courses run throughout the year, and can be arranged directly with your chosen trainer.
Course Times – 9:30am – 4:30pm including breaks.
Bring with you: a notebook & pencil, ruling pen, ink or paint, rule, corner gauge, any other preferred small tools and your lunch.
Cost: £450 per day inclusive of VAT where applicable. A discount of £250 is applied if the five days are block booked together.
The course is designed to be on a one-to-one basis. Subject to agreement, a second person from the same business can attend at a supplement of 50%.