Three Dimensional Items
This module will teach you the basics of framing three dimensional items. It is intended for those who are already experienced in the use of framing and mount cutting equipment. Students are encouraged to actively participate throughout. Advanced practical elements would require an additional time allocation which can be booked as a bespoke training day.
Basic core subjects
- Object identification and problem solving at the design desk
- Methods of support discussion – including
- Use of magnets
- Use of Mylar/Melinex
- Discussion about the construction of spacers and frame extensions
- The importance of having enough room to present the item correctly
- Choosing a suitable moulding profile
- Handling delicate items
- Storage prior to framing
- Different glazing options, how to give advice and recommendations
- Marketing three dimensional item framing to your customers
- Pricing – how to ensure you are covering your costs and making a profit
Basic practical element
- Bring a medal or other small three dimensional item of your choice (up to 15cm x 15cm) item for framing and follow the project through from start to finish
- Reviewing your own project with in-person discussion and problem solving
Advanced practical element
This element is available at the discretion of the course tutor and will require additional materials to be purchased by the student in advance. Course time will be allocated over a number of days as required. The following list is representative of items we can cover:
- Sports memorabilia
- Small knives/tools
- Cuddly toys/Action figures
- Jackets/Dresses/Other clothing items
- Musical instruments
- Multiple items of memorabilia
- Multi-level item mount design
What you need to know
This course is available in: All locations.
Courses are available throughout the year, and are arranged between you and your chosen trainer.
Course Times – 9:30am – 4:30pm including breaks.
Bring with you: a notebook & pencil, medal or other small three dimensional item of your choice (up to 15cm x 15cm) for framing and your lunch. If booking for an Advanced practical element, this will require an additional time allocation and additional item as discussed with your tutor.
Cost: £450 inclusive of VAT where applicable.
The course is designed to be delivered on a one-to-one basis. Subject to agreement, a second person from the same business can attend at a supplement of 50%.